Sunday, May 8, 2011



MOTHERS
(Recipe: Sour Cream Coffee Cake)]

Today we celebrate Mother’s Day. Even though my mother is no longer living, she was a great example to me. I often find myself doing things the way she did them and have to smile at the impact she had in my life. I smile when I see my boys repeating what they learned from me with their own children. I am especially grateful my boys know and love Jesus – and it is a joy to see them instilling these same values into the lives of their children.

I came across this little story and thought it appropriate to share with you today, Mother’s Day.

My little boy came into the kitchen this evening while I was fixing dinner. He handed me a piece of paper on which he had been writing. So after wiping my hands on my apron, I read it. This is what it said:


For mowing the grass….$5.00
For making my own bed this week … $1.00
For going to the store….$.50
For playing with baby brother while you went shopping….$.25
For taking out the trash …..$1.00
For getting a good report card….$5.00
For raking the yard…$2.00
My allowance……$14.75

I looked at him standing there expectantly, and a thousand memories flushed through my mind. So I picked up the paper, and turning it over, this is what I wrote.

For the nine months I carried you, growing inside me….No Charge
For the nights I sat up with you, doctored you, prayed for you….No Charge
For the time and the tears; and the cost through the years….No Charge
For the nights filled with dread, and the worries ahead….No Charge
For advice and the knowledge, and the cost of your college…No Charge
For the toys, food and clothes and for wiping your nose….No Charge
Son, when you add it all up, the full cost of my love is….No Charge

Well, when he finished reading he had great big tears in his eyes. He looked up at me and said, “Mom, I sure do love you.” Then he took the pen and in great big letters he wrote …. PAID IN FULL. (By Georgy)

Proverbs 17:6 says, “Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged; parents are the pride of their children.”

Enjoy every day God gives you with your children and your grandchildren. Those years fly by much too quickly. I know. My oldest son will be 48 this year! God bless.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

1-1/2 C. sugar
¾ cup soft margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Beat sugar, margarine and vanilla till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda and add to sugar mixture alternately with sour cream, beat after each addition.
Mix pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Spoon half of the pecan mixture into greased tube pan; top with half of cake batter. Repeat layers.
Bake 55 – 60 minutes, till toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen cake, invert on cooking rack; gently remove pan. Cool completely.

1 comment: