Sunday, October 31, 2010


ONE OF THOSE DAYS!
(Recipe: Swirled Pumpkin Cheesecake)

How many times have we uttered these words, “Boy, it’s been one of those days!” You know them. Everything that could go wrong does go wrong. We’ve all had them. I hate it when they come, but I don’t run from them because I have found that God is trying to teach me something – so – I persevere and go along for the ride.

Recently I had “One of those days!” It began when my husband shared with me the death of a friend’s mother. Not long after that I received an email that another friend had lost her father. My neighbor called a few minutes later to say his wife had just died. And that afternoon I opened my email to find another friend had lost her father that morning. Four dear friends had lost people they loved, all on the same day!! Yes, it was “one of those days!” I wasn’t sure for whom I should grieve first.

In reading through the Psalms, I came upon Psalm 89:48 which says, “No one can live forever; all will die. No one can escape the power of the grave.” (NLT). There it was. We would all die someday, and God knew when that day would be. Psalm 139:16 reminds us of this when God said, “All the days ordained for me were written in your book…” I guess I should not be surprised when I learn that a friend or loved one has died. God said we all ultimately will.

The question we need to ask ourselves is this, “Am I ready to die? Am I ready to stand before God?” When we have asked Jesus to forgive us of our sins; when I have confessed and repented of that sin; when I, by faith, trust Jesus alone for my salvation I then have nothing to fear. Death, although unwelcome, will not be fearful because when I fall asleep here on earth I will wake up in the presence of Jesus in heaven. I am absolutely certain of this. How about you? For more information on how you can be certain of heaven go to www.GodLovesTheWorld.com.


SWIRLED PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE

Gingersnap-Pecan Crust

24 Gingersnap cookies (6 oz)
½ cup pecans
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. melted butter

Filling

¾ cup sugar
2 - 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
¼ cup milk
1 Tbsp. flour
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup pure pumpkin (not pie filling) from a 15 oz. can
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or follow seasonings on can)

CRUST: In a food processer, pulse cookies, pecans and sugar until finely ground. Add butter and pulse to combine. Press mixture into bottom and sides of a 9” pie plate. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.

FILLING: Clean food processor. Add sugar and cream cheese; pulse to mix. Scrape down sides and add eggs, milk, flour and salt; process till smooth. Remove 1/3 cup and save.

Add pumpkin and spices to food processor. Process until fully mixed. Scrape mixture into the baked crust (no need to cool crust). Spoon reserved cream cheese mixture over top and use a knife or spatula to swirl. Bake until center is set but still trembles – 30 – 35 minutes. Cool completely. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment