Sunday, October 3, 2010


WHY?

(Baked Brie with Pecans and Brown Sugar)

Several things have occurred in my life this past week, and I am left wondering how it all fits into God’s plan for me. Have you ever wondered the same thing? We go through illness or injury and ask the question, “Why is this happening at THIS particular time? I have too much to do. I can’t be set aside NOW.” We lose someone we love unexpectedly and seem to say, “How can this be something good? They are too young to die. I’m not ready to let them go.” We face all kinds of disappointments, frustrations, the “unexpected”, a crisis – and we stand before God asking the question “Why?” “Why now?” “Why this?” “Why?”

I wish I had an easy answer for you. I don’t. Even the Son of God asked the question “Why?” Remember when he was on the cross dying for your sin and mine how He cried out to his Heavenly Father, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” God didn’t respond at that moment, never answered his question, but Jesus laid the question aside and obediently carried out the task before him.

This is what God expects from us. Ask your question, then obediently lay your question aside and follow Him – even if you don’t know where God is taking you. I have never known God to lead his children astray.

Reading through Isaiah 55, I was again reminded of verse 8-9 (one of my favorites). “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.”

The next time you are going through a difficult time – remember - God has a purpose. God has a plan. God is doing something “far beyond anything you could imagine.” Keep your eyes on the face of God, your hand in the hand of Jesus, then ask the Spirit for strength to help you choose to obediently follow the path God has chosen for your life at the moment, even if you don’t understand and are wondering “why.” Something good is awaiting you at the end of your journey - just hang in there!!!

Baked Brie with Pecans and Brown Sugar

1 8-oz. round of brie with rind intact

3 Tbsp. brown sugar

½ tsp. ground cinnamon

½ cup coarsely chopped pecans

1 sheet puff pastry (thawed)

Granny Smith Apples, sliced

butter crackers or light crackers

Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking pan with parchment paper for baking. Spread out puffed pastry on a flat surface.

In separate bowl, mix pecans, sugar and cinnamon. Spread nut mixture onto the center of the pastry. Place brie atop the nut mixture. Fold pastry over the brie to enclose everything like a package and pinch the pastry closed so it is sealed. Flip pastry package over and place on baking tray with folds on the bottom.

Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes or until the pastry is browned and golden. Serve with crackers and sliced apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment