Sunday, April 4, 2010


Words to Live By

One of my favorite Scripture verses is found in Deuteronomy 10:12-13. We read in these verses the following, “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good? I have personalized this verse by saying, “And now, Marilyn……” When I do this, what is God saying to me?

Marilyn….fear the Lord. God is not asking me to be afraid of him, but to revere his very Name. To stand in awe of Him. To have a profound reverence for him. 1 Samuel 12:24 says, “Be sure to fear the Lord ……with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.” The greatest of which is this; he sent his only Son to be the sacrifice for my sin. How can I not stand in awe of Him!

Marilyn….walk in all his ways. The key word here is HIS ways, not MY ways. His ways always lead me down the right path. My ways may lead me into trouble. Isaiah 30:21 says, “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

Marilyn….love him. Don’t simply utter words of “I love you,” but show God the extent of your love by your very actions. How do I do this? Luke 9:23 says, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” Love him enough to sacrifice self for the sake of following Jesus.

Marilyn…..serve the Lord. Colossians 3:17 says it best. “And whatever you do (however you serve), whether in WORD or DEED, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” We serve God when we use our gifts and talents to bring glory and honor to his holy Name.

Marilyn…obey my commands. “But they are so hard,” we might say. 1 John 5:3b says, “And his commands are not burdensome.” If God placed a command in his Book, then they are possible for us to keep - and if I love God, I will keep his commands.

As you reread this verse, add your own name. How faithful have you been in living out these five commands from God? Begin today to determine in your heart that you will –fear him, walk in his ways, love him, serve him, and obey all his commands – why? – Scripture says, “they are for my own good!” and I want God’s ‘good’ for my life. How about you?

EASY VEGETABLE SOUP

l extra-large can vegetable juice (Like V-8)

1 can Campbell’s French Onion Soup

5 carrots (diced)

1-1/2 pound of stew meat (do not cook)

2 large potatoes, diced

1 16-oz. bag of frozen green beans

1 16-oz. bag of frozen corn

In your crock-pot, add the first 5 ingredients. Cook on low heat all day. During the last two hours of cooking, add your frozen vegetables. Serve with crackers and cut-up assorted cheeses. Serves 6-8.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Easter Marilyn! I always find it so helpful and awesome to personalize Gods word. It's one of the best ways to grow in our relationship with Him. Today we celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus, He is the living word of God! Alive in our hearts, because of God's great love for us! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete