Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My Recipe Book

What is your favorite recipe book? Mine is a very old Betty Crocker Cook Book I received 49 years ago as a wedding gift. Perhaps your favorite recipe comes by way of the internet. I have used a few of these, having bookmarked some of my favorites. When I need a really “tried-and-tested” recipe, I grab my wooden recipe box. There I find all the wonderful recipes I have collected over the years. Recipes from my mom, my grandmother, my aunt and many friends.

In Psalm 119:18 we read, “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.” God has a wonderful “recipe” book for us to read. It’s called The Bible. We find nestled within these precious pages, recipes that will help us live a productive and fruitful life. If we want a recipe on “how to raise children”, we simply need to read Proverbs. If we need a recipe that explains the plan of salvation, turn to Romans. If we are wondering about heaven, the recipe can be found in John 14:1-6 and Revelation 22:1-6. Are you looking for a good recipe book? Look in the “Good Book” for recipes that will both nurture and grow you. God said to Ezekiel in Ezekiel 3:3 – “Then he (God) said to me, “Son of man, eat this scroll (God’s Word) I am giving you and fill your stomach with it.” So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth.”

Indeed, God’s word is sweet when we feed upon it. God’s Word does have the recipe for life that we need. If you are not reading from it daily, why not begin today?


FAVORITE CRUMB CAKE
Topping:
3 sticks of margarine 1-1/2 cup sugar (1/2 of this brown sugar)
1 tsp. cinnamon 3 cups of flour

Mix together well and refrigerate overnight.

Cake:

3 Tbsp. margarine 1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar pinch of salt
1 egg 2 cup flour
1 cup milk 3-1/2 tsp. baking powder

Cream the margarine and sugar together, add egg. Beat well. Add milk, salt and vanilla – beat well. Finally, add the flour and baking powder. Beat two minutes.
Pour into a well-greased jelly-roll pan. Crumble the refrigerated topping over the cake batter. Bake in a 350 oven for 40-45 minutes. When cooled, dust with powdered sugar. Cut into squares and serve.
This is a great breakfast or brunch recipe. Serves 12-15

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing mom...love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Marilyn! Great analogy between recipes and the Bible. Would make a really great theme and talk for a luncheon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn, this is going to be great!!!Can't wait to read more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite cookbook is an old photo album of recipes I've cut from various magazines over the years. Some are 20+ years old, and I can remember where I was in my life when I cut them out, and how the recipes turned out the first time I made them. It's like a food scrapbook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a great cookbook, one to treasure

    ReplyDelete