Sunday, September 8, 2013

Three Questions


(Crockpot Cashew Chicken)

In John 21:15ff, Peter was asked three very important questions by Jesus. These questions were not meant to trick Peter. Not meant to embarrass him. Rather, Jesus wanted to know what was really going on inside the heart and mind of Peter. What did Jesus really mean to Peter?

After Jesus had prepared breakfast for his disciples of fish and tasty bread, he drew Peter aside and begins to question him. Question one, “Peter, Do you love me MORE THAN THESE?” This was a personal question. Jesus was testing Peter to see inside his heart. How great was his love toward Jesus. He loved his friends, but what about Jesus? Peter had spent three years with these friends. He would have done anything for them. He loved them dearly. Jesus knew that. What Jesus wanted to know was, “Would Peter do anything for Jesus? Did he love Jesus more than he loved his family and friend?

The second question he asked him was, “Do YOU love me?” Peter, how deep is your love? Will you step out of your comfort zone for me? Are you willing to die for me? Will you fight for me?” “Peter, do you really and truly love me enough to go where I send you, say what I tell you to say, live as I expect you to live, die in the manner I choose for you, all without giving objection or argument?” “Peter, does every part of you love Me?”

His third question was, “Peter, Do you love ME?” Peter, am I the most important person in your life? If you had no one else, would I be enough? Do you love me enough to trust my lead? Do you love me enough to win a lost world to Me? Peter, do you love me more than life itself?”
“Peter, is your love toward me an intimate kind of love. Only Me, and no one else?”

Without hesitation, Peter answered “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”

Jesus then tells Peter to go out into the world and live the name of Jesus before others, sharing the Good News of the Gospel, winning lost souls into the Kingdom of God. Peter does a pretty good job of proving his love to Jesus. It was Peter who penned the words in 1 Peter 2:21, “For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps.” Peter walked in the steps of Jesus.

Jesus asks the same thing of us. How do we respond? How deep is our love? How sincere is our love? What are we willing to risk for Jesus? How much of my life am I ready to surrender to prove my love? Am I willing to go where he asks me to go, speak what he asks me to speak, and share the Good News with those God brings into my path?

There is a lost world around us. The only way mankind will be brought into the Kingdom of God is if we do what we were designed to do – “Go into all the world and preach the Good News”. It may require risk. It may require sacrifice. It may result in the lost of friendships. Do we love Jesus enough to step up and step out, completely surrendering my comforts for the sake of the Gospel?

Jesus said to Peter, “Feed my sheep.” His message to us is still the same. “Feed my sheep.” Feed them the story of the Good News of the Gospel so they may leave their life of wandering and come into the safety of the sheepfold.

Crockpot Cashew Chicken

2 lbs. boneless chicken tenders
¼ cup flour
½ tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
¼ cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ tsp. fresh ginger
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
½ cup cashews

Combine flour and pepper. Dip chicken in this mixture. Heal oil. On medium heat, brown chicken in oil (1 minute per side). Place in slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes in bowl. Pour over chicken. Cook in crock pot on low for 3-4 hours. Add cashews and stir. Serve over rice. Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment