Sunday, February 10, 2013

LOVE




We will be celebrating Valentine's Day this week. Here are some interesting facts about this day. In the United States Valentine's week is ranked number one in regard to chocolate candy sales. About 15 million Electronic Valentines (E-Valentines) were sent in 2010. About 1 billion Valentine's Day cards are exchanged each year. Teachers receive the most cards, followed by children, mothers, wives, and finally, sweethearts. Men spend nearly TWICE the amount of money celebrating the holiday than women do.

We send all this – candy, flowers, greeting cards – just to tell someone how much we love them, when a simple “ I Love You” would probably do AND mean just as much, if not more. Just saying!!

All of us enjoy hearing these 3 little words, especially when they come from someone we love. My husband, children and grandchildren cannot say these words often enough. I melt when they are said. I cannot get enough of God reminding me how much he loves me as well. His words bring a joy to my heart and tears to my eyes. I usually end up by asking the question, “Why, God, do you continue to love a sinner like me?” He needs to give no reason. He just does. If no one tells you of their love today, or this week, let God be the one to do so.

God has much to say on this subject, so as you can guess, I chose the word “Love” to be the word highlighted this week.

Isaiah 43:4-5, “Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I LOVE YOU, I will give men in exchange for you, and people in exchange for your life. Do not be afraid, for I am with you.....” Do you hear what God is saying? “I Love You”. “You are precious to me”. “You are honored in my sight”. Say it again God! I love to be reminded!

Rom 8:38-39 – “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow – not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below – indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the LOVE of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Think about it! NOTHING can stop God from loving you. Are you feeling depressed today? Do you have the sense that no one cares? Wake up! God wants to love you through every emotion you are experiencing today.

A question; what is real love? The answer; 1 John 3:16.

“We know what real LOVE is because Jesus gave up his life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters.” Who might you extend real love to his week? How might you have to give up your life (your time, your finances, your energy) to show someone else how much you love them? What will you do this week to express your love to Jesus, the one who loves you so.



Happy Valentine’s Day! May it be a day filled with LOVE, God’s kind of love!

Pralines ‘N’ Cream

2 Tbsp. butter (not margarine)
½ cup light brown sugar
½ cup heavy (whipping) cream
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cups pecans, toasted and chopped
Vanilla and/or coffee ice cream

In 2-qt. saucepan, melt butter on medium. Stir in sugar, cream and 1/8 tsp. salt. Heat to boiling on medium –high, stirring occasionally. Boil 2 min. stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and pecans. Cool slightly. Serve with ice cream. Sauce can be made up to 1 week ahead and kept in refrigerator in airtight container. If refrigerated, microwave on High 1 minute, stir, and cool slightly before serving.








No comments:

Post a Comment