Thursday, September 1, 2011


FEASTING ON GOD’S WORD
(Recipe: Dutch Apple Salad

I am enjoying working my way through Psalm 119. Each day I take a section and use it to meditate on, pray over, and allow God to speak to me through what I have read. It has been exciting to have God speak to me along the journey. I was especially challenged as I read Psalm 119:97-104. Let me share this Psalm with you.

=Psalm 119:97-104=

(97) Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
(98) Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me.
(99) I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes.
(100) I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts.
(101) I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.
(102) I have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me.
(103) How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
(104) I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.

What can we learn from these few verses?

-Verse 97 says we are to meditate on God’s word all day long. Meditate means to “contemplate; to think deeply about.” Do we do this? Think deeply about the words God has put in his Love Letter to us? Why would God want us to do this? Meditate – ponder – think deeply about? The remainder of these verses give us the answer.

-Verse 98 reminds us that God’s word makes us wiser than our enemies. Knowledge of God’s word causes us to make good life choices; unlike those who are an enemy to God’s word.

-Verse 99 says God’s word gives us more insight that our teachers. Throughout our life we have been taught Scripture. Through Bible studies, sermons, radio, TV…..The more we study, the more we learn. Eventually we can surpass even what our teachers have taught us – having more knowledge than them! Keep studying friend.

-Verse 100 says we can have more knowledge than our elders. Can this be? Our elders have had many years to store up God’s word in their hearts. I have elders I look up to because of their Bible knowledge – but God says if I keep studying, keep meditating, keep storing God’s word in my heart, one day I can have more knowledge than those elders I look up to. Hmmmm!

-Verse 101 tells us a knowledge of God’s word keeps us from every evil path. Truly, I want to walk down a healthy, God-honoring path and there is only one way to do this – know God’s Word! What path have you chosen for your life?

-Verse 102 reminds us that God himself with teach us through the Holy Spirit. Are you not excited to know that we have the greatest teacher of all teaching us God’s Word – the Holy Spirit! He is such a GOOD teacher too. Are you allowing Him the privilege of teaching you today?

-Verse 103 the Psalmist discovers that God’s words are sweet; sweeter than honey. I love what Ezekiel 3:3 tells us - “God told Ezekiel to eat God’s word and he replied, ‘So I ate it and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth.’” Do you enjoy eating God’s Word? Do you find it sweet to your taste? The next time you read God’s word ask God to fill your mouth with its sweetness; and eat until you are full!

-Verse 104 tells us that a good understanding of God’s word reveals what God hates; and if God hates it we must too.

Seems to me reading God’s word is a good thing. If you are not in the habit of feasting on this Book every day, make a new commitment that you are going to start today. Perhaps starting with Psalm 119 and taking a short section each day (there are 22 sections = 22 days). You will be blessed. You will be refreshed. You will delight the heart of God.

DUTCH APPLE SALAD

2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 large Golden Delicious apples, chopped
2 large Red Delicious apples, chopped
½ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup seedless red grapes, quartered
½ cup chopped walnuts (toasted, if desired)

In a small pan, combine flour and sugar. Whisk the egg and milk; stir into flour mixture until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Put in small bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.

Just before serving, combine the apples, and celery in large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with grapes and walnuts. Serves 8








No comments:

Post a Comment