Sunday, February 13, 2011


DELIGHT!

I was on a women’s retreat last weekend with my church ladies. What a wonderful experience! One hundred seven women spending time in laughter, fellowship, studying, and fun. The speaker was great, the food delightful, and my roommates the best! If I were to describe the entire weekend with one word it would be the word – DELIGHTFUL!

Delight means, “something that gives great pleasure; to enjoy” - - Yep! That describes my weekend.

As I continue with my Alphabet Scriptures – we come to D – and, you guessed it, my word is “delight or delightful”.

We use this word easily. “The food was delightful.” “It is a delight to know you.” “I can’t remember when I did anything so delightful!”

What does God’s Word have to say about this word, and how are we to apply it to our life?

When it comes to reading Scripture God’s Word says, “But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.” (Psalm 1:2). Is God’s Word something that gives you great pleasure as you read it?

How are we to respond to our salvation? “Then my soul will rejoice in the Lord and delight in his salvation.” Do you delight in your salvation?

Psalm 37:4 reminds us to, “Delight yourself in the Lord….” How well do we do this? Do you enjoy sitting in the presence of Jesus? Does being there bring you great pleasure? He should be the first person we encounter every day.

Does God ever show delight toward us?

Proverbs 12:22 says, “The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful.” If we want to bring delight to the heart of God, let’s be people who are truthful – in everything.

2 Samuel 22:1 begins, “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.” King David then goes on to say in verse 20, “He (God) led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me.” (NLT). Isn’t it great to know that God delights in us – delights to keep us safe – delights to rescue us when we need rescuing. No wonder He is my rock, my fortress and my savior.

How should I respond to others?

1 Corinthians 13:6 tells us, “Love does not delight in evil…”. There is evil all around us, yet God says we should not delight in it. God is the final judge. God will reprimand evil. We don’t have to.

Romans 12:10 reminds us, “Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.” (NLT). Whom could you show genuine affection to, and honor today? This week? In whom could you show your delight?

This being Valentine’s week, I’m certain we could find someone or Someone in whom we can take extreme delight!

Marilyn’s Chili

2 pounds ground beef, browned
2 cans dark kidney beans, not drained
2 large cans (29 oz.) tomatoes, (puree and diced)
½ large green pepper cut into small pieces
½ large red pepper cut into small pieces
3 stalks celery, cut into small pieces
½ large onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp. sugar
¼ cup parmesan cheese
3 slices American cheese
chili powder to taste

Mix all into a slow-cooker and cook 6-8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment