Sunday, December 26, 2010


Goodbye 2010

I cannot believe we have come to the end of another year. Five more days and we will be celebrating 2011. As you reflect back upon 2010, what kind of year was it for you? For all of us, we experienced those moments of joy, sorrow, excitement, laughter, fun, disappointment, encouragement and – hopefully – Spiritual growth. I know all of this has been true in my own life.

I also know that during each of these moments I have felt the presence of God in my life. And, God delights to be a part of each of these moments as well. I could never have walked through 2010 without Him, and I know I cannot walk whatever journey God has for me in 2011 without him either.

As you look forward to 2011, consider the words of Psalm 121 and claim them as a promise from God to you, then walk this New Year with confidence knowing God is watching over you.

121 1 I look up to the mountains—
does my help come from there?
2 My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth!

3 He will not let you stumble;
the one who watches over you will not slumber.
4 Indeed, he who watches over Israel
never slumbers or sleeps.

5 The Lord himself watches over you!
The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.
6 The sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon at night.

7 The Lord keeps you from all harm
and watches over your life.
8 The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go,
both now and forever.

“Father, thank you that I can confidently enter this New Year knowing you watch over me, you will not sleep, you will protect me, you will watch over me, you will keep me – now and forever – amen.”

Butternut Squash Gratin

Salt (to taste)
1 butternut squash (2-2-1/2 pounds) peeled, seeded, and cut grosswise into ½” half-moons.
½ c. chicken broth
1 Tbsp. butter, cut up
½ cup planko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Grease 2-qt. dish. Sprinkle ¼ tsp. (or less) salt over all squash. In prepared baking dish, arrange squash in overlapping layers; pour broth into dish. Dot squash with butter. Cover tightly with foil and bake 35 minutes or until a knife pierces through squash with only slight resistance.

Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine panko, Parmesan, oil, thyme, red pepper, and ¼ (or less) tsp. salt until well mixed.

Uncover squash and sprinkle evenly with panko mixture. Bake, uncovered, 12-15 minutes longer or until crumbs are golden brown. Garnish with thyme springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment