Sunday, September 5, 2010


GOD’S GUEST


(Recipe: Hot Cheddar-Mushroom Spread)


We will be celebrating Labor Day this week, and for many of us that means family time, picnics and having guests in your home. I love these special times. The BBQ’s. The laughter that happens when family and friends get together. For me it means entertaining. Preparing the food, having my home ready for company, even the clean-up – all things I enjoy when having guests over.


For the guest it means a time when they can be served. When they can enjoy a meal prepared by someone else. When they can relax and enjoy fellowship with good friends.


A guest is defined this way: a person who spends some time at another person's home in some social activity, as a visit, dinner, or party.” The key word is “some.” They come for a while, and then leave. They do not stay forever (hopefully!!)


Recently I came across in interesting verse in Scripture. It is from Psalm 39:12 (NLT). This is a Psalm of David. In verse 5 David says, “You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you, at best, each of us is but a breath.”


David is reminding us how brief life is. This is made clearer in verse 12 when he says,

“Hear my prayer, O Lord! Listen to my cries for help! Don’t ignore my tears. For I am your guest – a traveler passing through, as my ancestor’s were before me.”


Our life on this earth is brief – AND – we are nothing more than a guest traveling through. As God’s guest, I am simply spending time on this earth that rightly belongs to God. I have been invited to participate in His hospitality as His guest, for a time. What kind of guest do I make? Am I enjoying all that God has prepared for me? Do I treat his created home with respect? Do I enjoy the beauty around me, all expressions of God’s handiwork and creativity? Do I enjoy sitting at his table and feasting with Him? Do I enjoy his conversation as found in his Word? Do I listen when he talks?


My prayer is that each of us may bring pleasure to the heart of God and be a guest that appreciates all God desires to give to us, until he takes us from this home and brings us to heaven where we will no longer be a “guest – a traveler passing through” but we will have a permanent home and feasting with God forever.


Hot Cheddar-Mushroom Spread


2 cups mayonnaise

2 cups (8-oz) shredded cheddar cheese

2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

4 cans (4-1/2 oz each) sliced mushrooms, drained

1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix

minced fresh parsley

assorted crackers


In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cheeses, mushrooms and dressing mix. Spread into a greased 9-in. pie plate.


Bake, uncovered at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crackers. (do not use reduced fat or fat-free mayonnaise)

No comments:

Post a Comment