Sunday, August 22, 2010


SHOUT TO THE LORD!

(Recipe: Apricot-Pineapple Jell-O Salad)


“Way to go!! Come on guys, one more out!!” The pitch was thrown, a swing, and miss, and just like that the ballgame was over. Hands were lifted high. Cheers were heard. Laughter was mounting, and a team was jumping. Oh what fun to be on the winning team.


This was my experience this week as I enjoyed watching my 12-year old grandson play in a baseball tournament. I thought nothing of yelling and screaming and giving high-fives each time these guys won their game, and they won four in two days.


I thought about this on the way home from the tournament. All the screaming and yelling that went on for a bunch of boys running bases and catching balls. No matter what the sporting event, fans go crazy with their cheering and yelling as their favorite team ends up being the victor. Why don’t we show this much enthusiasm as we worship the King of Kings? Why don’t we do a little cheering and shouting because our King has been victorious? I wonder what would happen if we “fans” would begin a victors chant during a worship service? After all, isn’t Jesus worth getting excited about? He was victorious over death and the grave. He was victorious over sin. I have eternal life because of Him. A little bit of enthusiasm please!!!!


Scripture commands that we do a little shouting – yet we do not. To “shout” means – “loud cry: a loud call or cry.” Listen to what these verses in Scripture tell us.

Psalm 47:1- Come, everyone! Clap your hands!

Shout to God with joyful praise!


Ps 95:1 - Come, let us sing to the Lord!

Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.


Ps 98:4 - Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth,

burst into jubilant song with music;


When was the last time you heard jubilant shouting to God? When was the last time you heard people break into clapping as they applauded God? Doesn’t happen very often, and yet it should. I must admit, this morning in worship I heard a very loud and excited “amen” during the preaching – twice!!! I wanted to shout right along with them – yet I didn’t.


I have been challenged to rethink my enthusiasm. If I can get excited over a meaningless baseball game and not be embarrassed to yell and cheer for the winning team, and lift my hands high in victory, why shouldn’t I yell and cheer with excitement knowing I serve a victorious Savior. I should. We should. God help us to be able to add a little more enthusiasm to our worship of the King of Kings.


APRICOT-PINEAPPLE JELL-O SALAD


1 6-oz. box Apricot or Orange Jell-O

2 cups boiling water

1 20-oz. can DRAINED crushed pineapple (reserve juice)

1 8-oz. cream cheese

1 15-oz. can apricots, drained and chop apricots

½ cup walnuts

1 8-oz. tub Cool Whip


Dissolve Jell-o in boiling water. Add drained pineapple to Jell-o. Set aside.


Beat cream cheese and pineapple juice until smooth. Stir into Jell-o.

Chill partially. Stir several times as it is setting.


Stir in apricots and nuts. Fold in Cool Whip. Pour into a 13 x 9 pan. Sprinkle with additional chopped nuts (if desired). Chill until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment